Charles (Carl) Goeller was born in Doerrenbach in the Pfalz Region in the Kingdom of Bavaria. His father was Franz Wilhelm Göller (Goeller) and his mother was Franziska Kath Böhmer (Boehmer). At the age of twelve Charles started learning the trade of blacksmithing and wagon maker in the shop of his father. William Goeller, Charles’ brother, immigrated to the U.S. in May 1867. Charles at age 26, and his sister, Catherine age 23, soon followed in 1871. The brother and sister traveled together from Bremen, Germany, on board the German ship S.S. Köhn and arrived at the Port of New York on 24 June 1871. Upon his arrival Charles spent about 6 weeks with his brother William. Charles then secured work in the shop of Thomas Weeks for about one year from 1871-1872. Charles next went to work for Walter Weeks for about the same time frame from about 1872-1873.
On January 19, 1873 Carl bought the business of Albert Rakow at Fosters Meadow. Charles was a blacksmith and wagon builder and grew his new business into one of the largest shops on Long Island. The Goeller & Sons business firm manufactured wagons and carriages, furnished wagons for jobbers and filled special orders for grocery, market and brewer’s wagons. Charles also had an operating farm of 35 acres located in Fosters Meadow between the Joseph Hoffman and Andrew Batt’s farms on Elmont Road.
Charles Goeller married Magdalene (Lena) Hoffman, daughter of Joseph Hoffman and Carolina Geiger in New York City. Charles and Magdalene were married at the St. Boniface RC Church at Fosters Meadow in August 1875. They had seven children together, four sons and three daughters. The Goeller’s were members of the St. Boniface Roman Catholic Church in Fosters Meadow. Charles passed away in 1919 at the age of 75 in Queens Village N.Y. and Lena passed away in 1926. Charles, Lena are buried at the St. Boniface RC Church Cemetery in Elmont, NY.
The Seven Goeller Children:
Rev. Goeller received his first assignment in 1906 with St. Barbara’s RC Church in Brooklyn for four years.
His next church was St. Benedict’s RC Church in Brooklyn and he served there for the next fourteen years there
until 1924. In 1924 the Roman Catholic parish of St. Clare was established by Bishop Molloy to serve the
farming community of Rosedale in Queens. Rev. Msgr. Goeller was the founding pastor. Rev. Goeller rented
the local firehouse to celebrate the first Mass on Sunday, July 20, 1924. This building is still standing across
the street from the present St. Clare's RC Church. Plans were drawn up for a permanent church
building and construction began in 1926. The completed church was dedicated by Bishop Molly on November 13, 1927.
Rev. Goeller remained at St. Clare’s RC Church until his death in 1957.
In 1954, the Venerable Pope Pius XII confers the title of Domestic Prelate on the Reverend Joseph A. Goeller and he
becomes the Reverend Monsignor Joseph A.Goeller.
Frank and Louise’s son Gerard was originally buried in 1986 at St. Boniface RC Church in Elmont, NY.
The body was exhumed upon request of his wife, Kathleen and reburied at the Calverton National Cemetery.
Gerard was a private first class in the U.S. army during WW2. Gerard’s name is still on Zimmer marker at
St. Boniface RC Church Cemetery in Elmont, NY.
Submitted by George Bauer